Friday, February 5, 2010

Cell Phones, Texting and Bicycles

Just when you think you have heard it all about the stupid things people do to stay in touch with their friends via texting and emails and all types of mobile communications you hear something that makes you say… WHAT???

Needless to say enough has been written about the dangers of talking on a phone while you are driving, the lack of attention given to the actual traffic or the speed at which you are driving. I must admit I have experienced this myself. I tend to get too involved in some conversations, all of a sudden you look at the speedometer and you are either going 90 if it was something that excited you in the conversation or you would go real slow sometimes actually trying to think about the conversation. I’m glad that I never tried to have phone sex with anyone while driving I can’t bear to think of how fast I would have been driving then. You would definitely have to be using the speaker phone or a blue tooth so to have at least one hand to drive with. I guess the calming thing about if I would have had phone sex in the car is it would have only lasted a minute or so.

Ok so talking on the phone is one thing, but how about texting and emails. We try to drive and look at the road while at the same time reading a message and then manipulating our fingers on that tiny keyboard to answer an important question or just to BS with a friend. WOW… so much more dangerous than just talking. Now we are actually doing something which takes a part of our brain away from what we are supposed to be doing, and if you don’t’ have much of a brain to begin with it is really taking it to the edge. I mean talking on the phone is almost like talking to the person next to you in the car. The most dangerous part of talking on the cell phone besides getting excited and stuff is typing the fricking phone number on that tiny keyboard. But yes, now let’s just text our way through the whole trip and not look at the road while we are doing it. I know I am just going on a bit of a rant here but come on people. Yes I am somewhat guilty here too, but mostly I just read the messages and then answer later or just call the damn person instead.

Enough said about the regular everyday cell phone or text messaging while driving. Here is the one that got me to say WHAT. Yes, text messaging while riding a bicycle. How the hell do you do that one and how stupid do you have to be to try? I guess you would steer the bike one handed or ride with no hands like we did when we were kids trying to show off in front of the little girls, while holding the phone and texting with the other hand. Now admit it, that does take some skill. Wow, I can just see smashing into all kind of stuff if I were doing that. I would be driving crooked and out of the bike lane if there was one. Not braking on time and smashing into the back of cars. It takes some balls to pull that one off at all. Maybe they should design a bike with an extended metal piece coming up from one side of the handle and a place on it to put your cell phone so you can text that way. I guess it takes some balls to even think about texting and riding a bike, so I think lets name this new bicycle” Textcycle”. Perfect name since only dickheads would be riding one anyway!

No comments: